Resources for Teaching Languages to Children

Search

¡Ya sabes español! A great first day activity!

My Kindergartners come into our school with little to no Spanish experience...or so they think! I love to give them a big confidence boost right from the beginning so we do a fun activity I call ‘¡Ya sabes español! (You already know Spanish!) where I have pictures and items of things we say in Spanish all the time: taco, piñata, quesadilla, burrito, armadillo, nachos, salsa, llama, alpaca, and so on  (a lot of them are food!) and have my kiddos name them themselves. As we go, I get to point out, ‘See, you already know a lot of Spanish!’ This activity gives my students a sense of confidence and motivation, especially for those who are nervous that they don’t know anything in Spanish.  It also starts to build that awareness that Spanish is all around us!


A HUGE THANK YOU TO members of our Facebook group who compiled additions to the list- Beth Alders Thaemert, Susan O'Donnell Bondy (and don't miss Susan's Cognate Bingo game for older learners! Click here):

guacamole, chocolate, jalapeño, mosquito, coyote, iguana, patio, cargo, sofá, pasta, tenis, taxi, jaguar, bus, cereal, béisbol, tenis, música

Back to School Activity for Kindergarten Spanish Class


https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMk0RMH8MFmOB_yJMuvVMH7xBx_qfLl8oqOQXbA

8 comments

  1. I did this last year with my Kindergarteners and they loved it! Great first day activity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear that! The first day can be a hard one, for everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! Specially if you have you own classroom! I teach 3rd grade in New York and that will be great to do with my kids too!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy it is helpful!!! And I think you are absolutely right, perfect for lots of grade levels! Happy weekend :) Julie

      Delete
  4. How do I purchase ya sabes espanol? There is no connection on your site??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an activity without printables- it's an idea for class :) Julie

      Delete
  5. May you PLEASE consider sharing the images you have developed for this activity? I love the quality and format of the images you have displayed on this page! Perhaps a Google slides digital format?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Audrey,
      I would LOVE to share the images, but they are ones I found on Google and just printed out, so I don't have the rights to them, so am unable to share. However, let me see what I can come up with in terms of other sources for photos and get back to you-I might be able to pull something together! :) Julie

      Delete